Study report #1
At the end of my first week at my new job and of my language learning comeback, I think it’s good to stop for a few minutes and reflect on what I’ve managed to accomplish in these last 7 days LL-wise.
First of all, my new job has a very different schedule from the old one. I now start quite late (9:45am) and finish equally late (6pm), which means two things:
- I can go back to have a morning routine (very much appreciated)
- I cannot count on my ability of studying before/after dinner because by the time I’m home my brain has already set itself on relaxation mode
This has required a certain organisation on my part, and even more a strong discipline in getting things done in the morning [because otherwise they won’t get done at all].
Let’s break my week down, shall we?
- Monday. My first day off since FOREVER. Went downtown to do some shopping in the morning and had noodles for lunch (a must). Did Duolingo + flashcards and characters review on Anki in the afternoon for both Chinese and Japanese.
- Tuesday. Second day off, spent at home in my new Friends jumper (love). Same as above in the morning; in the afternoon I dedicated myself to the much procrastinated tasks of reviewing some old printouts from Chinese Class 101 (and then discard them). Mission accomplished.
- Wednesday. First official day at my new job. I managed to do some Duolingo in the morning before work.
- Thursday. This is the day I usually start work at 10:45 so I decided to use the additional morning time to go to Starbucks and get some solid study there. I did a long character and vocabulary practice on Anki for both Chinese and Japanese, and took some notes on things I need to do next in my study.
- Friday. Only managed to do some Duolingo on the bus.
- Saturday. Same. I needed a slow morning.
- Sunday. Sunday is 10:45 start as well so I managed to both sleep a bit more and get some study done. The annoying thing about Anki is that even if you don’t review for a couple of days you immediately start to accumulate a thousands new cards to study. I guess I’m not the only one to complain about this.
All in all, I quite happy with the way I managed my time. My change of schedule has been huge so adjusting necessarily takes some time, and I could have done much much worse. I would like to be able to find even more time for language learning in my week, so I’ll probably try to do things a bit differently next week. I also have a lot of other commitments that I’m trying to carry on (too many?) on a daily basis, so balancing everything is definitely not easy. I’ll probably need to review my priorities a bit.
I’m finally off tomorrow and Tuesday, can’t wait to have some me-time for languages and books 🤤